A major advancement has been announced by the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) with the purpose of enhancing Malta’s capital markets regime. As of 01 May 2022, a Capital Markets Supervision Function has been established within the MFSA’s Supervisory Directorate.
Accordingly, the newly-implemented Capital Markets Supervision Function shall be responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets, notably including:
- Processing of applications for admissibility to listing on regulated markets in Malta;
- Approving prospectuses in terms of the Prospectus Regulation;
- Ongoing supervision of companies having securities listed on regulated markets in Malta;
- Supervising markets to identify potential market abuse;
- Authorising and supervising trading venues and central securities depositaries;
- Supervising of financial and non-financial entities falling within the scope of EMIR and SFTR;
- Carrying out data quality assurance of transaction reports in terms of MiFIR;
- Supervising administrators, contributors and users of benchmarks in terms of the Benchmarks Regulation.
The Capital Markets Supervision Function shall also be involved in initiatives such as Crowdfunding and Green Bonds.
For more information, read the MFSA’s Media Release here: https://www.mfsa.mt/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/MFSA-Sets-Up-New-Supervision-Function-to-Regulate-Capital-Markets.pdf
This article is not intended to constitute legal advice and neither does it exhaust all relevant aspects of the topic